The BugsCEP software package consists of two main files:
- BugsCEP, software which contains the forms, queries and code that make up the
- Bugsdata, the database which contains almost all of the actual data.
The latter is a relational database built in MS Access 2000, with about
43 tables which contain the data enumerated below.
The setup program will also install a number of support files as needed,
including those necessary to run an Access database on a PC without the
full software installed (although this is becoming increasingly difficult on the latest Windows versions).
An online version is being integrated into the Strategic Environmental Archaeology Database (SEAD): www.sead.se, through which most of the fossil data can be accessed.
The vast majority of data has been input by Paul Buckland, including
the extensive recent database update (see below).
Current geographical scope (but all data are welcome)
Data (at time of writing - constantly increasing)
- UPDATED 31 August 2022
- 11325 Taxa (links to online images are being added)
- 7004 Synonyms
- 996 Records of species
- 2224 UK RDB rarity
- 12143 Species attribute
records (mainly size data)
Fossil record and other sample based
- 1381 Sites
- 1550 abundance datasets/countsheets
- 211594 Fossil record entries
(which make up the countsheets)
- 11867 Recorded dates of which:
1467 radiometric; 8067 period; 2333 calendar
Climate and Ecology
- 436 MCR thermal envelopes
- 39139 Ecology notes (from references)
- 43004 Distribution notes (from references)
- 9081 BugsEcoCode assignments
- 17286 Koch Ecology Code
- 9916 UK Monthly activity
- 429 Identification keys (by